Kesari is my go to sweet when I have unexpected guests. It not only gets done quickly but also tastes delicious. Kesari was one of the first sweets I learnt to make.
I have been wanting to try this Pineapple Kesari for a while now. It is usually served in marriages, but the taste of Adyar Ananda Bhawan, Pineapple Kesari is unforgettable. It is just awesome. So ever since I tasted it there, it has been on my to do list.
I have used tinned pineapples in this recipe, but they can be easily replaced with the fresh fruit. Do read the notes at the end if you are using the fresh fruit.
So if you are bored of your regular kesari, try this fruity flavoured kesari for a change. I'm sure you will love it.
Serves 2 to 3
What you'll need
- Rava/Semolina – ½ cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Pineapple pieces – ¼ cup, finely chopped (I used tinned pineapples)
- Ghee/Clarified butter – 3 tbsp
- Cashewnuts – 5 to 6, broken into small pieces
- Pineapple Essence – 1 tsp
- Yellow Food Color – a pinch
- Water – 1.5 cup
- Heat a Kadai with a tbsp of ghee. Fry the cashews until light brown.
- Add the rava and roast for 4 to 5 minutes on medium heat, taking care not to burn it.
- In the meanwhile, heat 1.5 cups of water with the food color and bring to boil.
- Once rava is roasted, add the boiling water and the chopped pineapple pieces carefully to it and mix well.
- Lower heat and cook covered for 3 to 4 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed and rava is cooked well.
- Now add the sugar and mix well. The mixture will become runny and you may see small lumps. Don’t worry at all, keep stirring in a while the mixture will thicken and there won’t be any lumps.
- Add the remaining ghee and mix until the mixture starts leaving the sides.
- Add the pineapple essence and remove from heat.
- If using fresh pineapple, finely chop the pineapple add 2 tbsp of sugar and keep aside for atleast 2 hours. This will soften the fruit and also remove some of the tanginess.
- Add the pineapple pieces after roasting the cashewnuts and fry in the ghee for 3 to 4 minutes before adding rava. Then follow the same procedure as above.
- Adding the essence enhances the flavor, so don’t skip it.
- You may avoid adding the food color if you don’t like.