Tomorrow is Diwali. Hope all are geared up to celebrate this beautiful festival with new clothes, crackers and some yummy food.
This year we are away from our country for the first time and miss it very much especially on this occasion. But we did have our share of fun here with the lots of Diwali celebrations in the town and the kids schools. I felt really proud to see people of different nationalities flock in huge numbers to the Diwali festivals here. We also got to see some fireworks. So the whole of last week was fun filled.
Here is a simple treat that can get ready in just a few minutes. So if you are the last minute kind of person and haven't yet made your goodies, then give this one a try. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
What you'll need
- Almonds- 1 cup
- Sugar - 1.5 cup
- Ghee - 1/4 cup
- Soak the almonds in hot water for half and hour. Remove the skin.
- Grease a square tray and keep aside.
- Grind the almonds into a fine paste by adding little water or milk.
- In the meanwhile, place a heavy bottom kadai on heat.
- Add sugar and 1/2 cup water and heat on medium flame till the sugar reaches one string consistency.
- to check for one string consistency, wet your fingers, and take a little bit of the syrup between the thumb and index finger and take them apart, if you see a single string then the syrup is of right consistenty.
- Add the ground almond paste and mix without any lumps.
- Then add the ghee and keep stirring till the whole thing comes together as a mass and the sides start frothing.
- Pour into a greased plate. Cool for few minutes and mark the pieces while still warm.
- Cut and separate the pieces after cooling.