Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Red Capsicum/Bell Pepper Chutney - Easy Side Dish for Idly/Dosa



Capsicum is one of my favorite vegetables and I try to use it whenever possible. I love the distinct flavor it imparts to any dish it is added to. I love them in Sambar. Now the green Capsicum/Bell pepper is the one I had been using all these years. Though I used to buy the colored ones occasionally. They were not regulars in my cooking. 

In Amsterdam, we get a packet of 3 bell peppers, 1 each of green, yellow and red and they almost always find their way into my shopping cart.So I keep looking for recipes that make use of bell peppers. And that's how I tried this chutney once, I loved the flavor that came from the bell peppers. The red ones are slightly sweet.This chutney is now a regular in my kitchen. It makes a perfect pair with idly or dosa. You can even have them rotis as I sometimes :) Do give it a try in your kitchen and let me know how you like it.



What you’ll need
  1. Red Capsicum/Bell Pepper – 1
  2. Onion – 1, medium sized
  3. Tomato – 1 medium sized
  4. Bengal Gram Dal/Channa Dal – 1.5 tbsp
  5. Dried Red Chilly – 1 or 2
  6. Salt to taste
  7. Oil – 2 tsp

For tempering
  1. Oil – 1 tsp
  2. Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
  3. Curry Leaves – few

Method
  1. Wash, halve, deseed and chop the red bell pepper.
  2. Roughly chop the onion and tomato.
  3. Heat a kadai with 2 tsp of oil. Add the channa dal and fry till they are almost golden brown.
  4. Add the red chillies and fry till they turn bright red.
  5. Transfer the channa dal and red chillies to a plate.
  6. Add the chopped onions into the same kadai, and fry till light brown.
  7. Next add the chopped tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes are mushy.
  8. Finally add the chopped red bell peppers and fry for couple of minutes.
  9. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
  10. Now, grind the channa dal and red chillies first, once they are coarsely ground, add the fried onions, tomatoes and bell peppers and grind to a smooth paste without adding any water.
  11. Add salt to taste.
  12. Heat a small frying pan, with a tsp of oil, add mustard seeds once they splutter, add the curry leaves. Remove from heat and pour over the chutney.

Delicious chutney is ready. Serve as an accompaniment with idly or dosa.



Note:
  1. The tomato I used was quite taart/sour, so just used one, if you are using the Roma tomatoes, increase to 2 medium sized.
  2. Adjust the spice level according to your taste, as there will be a slight sweet taste from the bell peppers.



18 comments:

Laxmipriya said...

like its color.. yet to try this chutney.. :)

Sanoli Ghosh said...

Since long time, it is in my to-do list. Thanks for sharing . Tempting chutney.

Hema said...

Love this chutney, as u said, perfect with idlis and dosas..

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Colorful and delicious looking chutney. Excellent preparation.
Deepa

Hari Chandana said...

Yummy and tempting chutney.. awesome clicks too!!

Vimitha Durai said...

Perfect side for dosas. i love this chutney too

Shanthi said...

One of my favorite chutney..you have done it perfectly...

Anupa Joseph (Palaharam) said...

I am yet to give it a try. Your chutney looks awesome..can't wait to try and dip some hot idli in it and have it

Unknown said...

I love this chutney too, beautiful color!

Sona said...

I love capsicum chutney, looks delicious.

The Yogi Vegetarian said...

I share you love of bell peppers and always buy them too :) Thanks for posting this- I will make it soon.

Rafeeda AR said...

awesome chutney... would taste lovely with some dosas...

Rani acharyulu said...

Delicious chutney looks so nice in that cute bowl.

Eat n Eat little More said...

healthy chutney .. Perfect with idlis, dosas n for me as it is too! I love the flavor of capsicum

Unknown said...

I even make this chutney a lot :) they look so yummy and inviting dear !!

M SUSMA said...

Will try this chutney soon

Amuthis Kitchen said...

Chutney looks colorful and delicious Kaveri...

Suja Manoj said...

Nice colorful chutney,so yummy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...