Beetroot is a very versatile vegetable. You can use it in a variety of dishes like thoran, molaguttal, thogayal etc. This Kichadi or thayir pachadi is yet another way to put the beets to use. My kids love beetroot in thayir pachadi. It pairs very well with molagootal and molagushiam.
What you'll need
- Beetroot – 1 Medium sized, peeled and grated
- Fresh Yogurt/curd – 1.5 cup
- Salt to taste
- Scraped Coconut – ¼ cup
- Green Chilly – 1 or 2
- Ginger – a small piece
- Mustard Seeds – 1/8 tsp
- Coconut Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard Seeds – ½ tsp
- Curry Leaves – few
- Take the grated beetroot in a vessel and add about ½ cup of water and cook it with salt till the beetroot is soft. Allow to cool.
- In the meanwhile, grind the coconut, green chilly, ginger, and mustard seeds. Add a little of the curd to aid in grinding.
- Add the ground coconut mixture to the cooked beetroot
- Also add the whisked yogurt and mix everything well. Adjust the salt.
- Heat a small frying pan with oil, and temper with mustard seeds. Remove from heat and add the curry leaves.
- Pour the tempering over the kichadi and mix well.
Serve as an accompaniment with rice.